Frequently Asked Questions

  1. Q: How do I know if my business is allowed where I want to locate it?

    The City of Rialto has various land uses or zones that are defined in the City’s Municipal Code that allow for various types of business uses. Please check with the City’s Planning Department at (909) 820-2535 to determine if your business use is permitted in a particular zone.
    [ back to top ]

  2. Q: Am I required to have a business license?

    Yes. All businesses operating or doing business within the city limits of Rialto are required to obtain a business license. Contact the City of Rialto Business License office at (909) 820-2517. Click here for more information about applying for a business license.
    [ back to top ]

  3. Q: What type of business entity should I have?

    You may choose to conduct a business as a sole proprietorship, corporation, partnership, or a limited liability company. You should consult with a legal representative and accountant before making any determination as to the type of business entity to form. For more information on each type of business entity, please click on the corresponding link at the California Business Portal section of the Secretary of State’s website.

    Unless you conduct your business as a sole proprietorship, you must file papers with the Secretary of State’s office:

    Secretary of State
    Business Programs Division
    1500 11th Street
    Sacramento, CA 95814
    (916) 657-5448
    [ back to top ]

  4. Q: What’s a fictitious name statement?

    If you use a business name other than your own legal name or initials, you must file a fictitious name statement with the County Clerk.

    San Bernardino County
    Auditor/Controller-Recorder Office
    222 W. Hospitality Lane
    San Bernardino, CA 92415
    Phone: (909) 386-8970
    [ back to top ]

  5. Q: Where can I obtain a seller’s permit (Retail Sales Tax Number)?

    The State Board of Equalization (BOE) issues seller’s permits and is responsible for the administration and collection of the State’s sales and use, fuel, alcohol, tobacco, and other special taxes and fees.

    State Board of Equalization
    3737 Main Street #1000
    Riverside, CA 92501
    (909) 680-6400
    [ back to top ]

  6. Q: Where do I obtain a State Tax ID Number?

    The Franchise Tax Board (FTB) issues State Tax identification numbers and administers personal and corporate income and franchise taxes for the State of California. Information regarding this number (which is utilized to track state withholding taxes) can be obtained from the California Franchise Tax Board at:

    Franchise Tax Board
    464 West 4th Street, Room 454
    San Bernardino, CA 92401-1419
    (909) 852-5711
    (800) 852-5711
    [ back to top ]

  7. Q: Where can I obtain a Federal Tax ID Number?

    The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) issues federal employer identification numbers and administers federal payroll taxes, including social security, Medicare, federal unemployment insurance and federal income tax withholding. For more information, please contact:

    Internal Revenue Service
    290 N. D St.
    San Bernardino CA 92401
    [ back to top ]

  8. Q: Where do I get my State Employer Identification Number?

    The Employment Development Department (EDD) issues state employer identification numbers, (SEIN) and administers California’s payroll taxes, including unemployment insurance, employment training tax, state disability insurance, and California personal income tax withholding.

    Employment Development Department
    464 West 4th Street, Room 454 A
    San Bernardino, CA 92401
    [ back to top ]

  9. Q: What type of permits or licenses do I need to start my business?

    Depending upon the type of business you conduct, you may also be required to obtain special license(s) or permits from the State of California, County of San Bernardino, City of Rialto or other agencies prior. To determine which occupations and businesses require additional licenses or permits you may contact the regional Permit Assistance Center or the Cal Gold website at:

    Inland Empire Permit Assistance Center
    2038 Iowa Avenue, Suite 100
    Riverside, CA 92507
    [ back to top ]

  10. Q: I’m going to be serving food products. Do I need special approvals?

    Yes. The San Bernardino County Health Department reviews all plans for compliance with State of California health codes. They are interested in the type of restaurant equipment installed, the categories of food you are handling and standards relating to employee hygiene. The Health Department can be reached at:

    County of San Bernardino
    Environmental Health Services
    385 North Arrowhead, 2nd Floor
    San Bernardino, CA 92415
    1 (800) 442-2283
    [ back to top ]

  11. Q: If I sell any alcoholic beverages, will I need any special approvals?

    Yes. The sale and serving of alcoholic beverages in conjunction with any business is governed by the State of California Alcoholic Beverage Control Agency (ABC). Please contact them regarding all pertinent rules, regulations and required permits. In addition, to obtaining a license from the ABC, your business may also require special review and approvals from the City of Rialto. Please contact the Planning Department at (909) 820-2535

    Department of Alcohol and Beverage Control
    3737 Main Street, Suite 900
    Riverside, CA 92501
    (909) 782-4400


Comments are closed.