Building & Safety Division
The Building Division is responsible for ensuring that all new and remodeled construction follows California Building Codes (CBC) and City ordinances, meeting all the following requirements:
The Division ensures this through the process of plan review and inspection services.
Construction Amnesty Program
The Construction Amnesty Program for unpermitted construction creates a streamlined process to legalize unpermitted construction and bring it into compliance with current zoning and building regulations.
New 2019 Building Codes to Take Effect on January 1, 2020
Every three years, the State of California Building Standards Commission adopts new building and fire codes as the governing standards to regulate construction projects. These triennial updates are done in order to implement any improved life-safety standards as new scientific and technical evidence is developed.
Modifications to the 2019 CBC
- 1. 2019 CBC Section 1511.1 is amended by adding Section 1503.11 to read as follows:
- New or reroof coverings shall not be applied without first obtaining a pre-inspection approval from the building official and/or his/her designee of the City. Wood shake and wood shingle roofing; materials are not allowed regardless of rating.
- 2. 2019 CBC Sections 1609A.1.1, 1613A.1 is amended to add as follows:
- The City of Rialto engineered design criteria for all structures built within the city is 130 miles per hour winds, exposure C, seismic zone D.
- 3. 2019 CBC1613A.1 is amended to add as follows:
- Because of our proximity to the San Andreas fault, all underground pipe, conduit, and lines will be shaded with cleaned dirt void of any rocks or clean sand, six inches below and twelve inches above said pipe, conduit, or line. And all electrical metal conduit will need a ground conductor, the metal conduit will not act as the ground conductor.